A building permit on the front of the National Community Church on Barracks Row authorizes extension of the facade for a ticket booth and the installation of a theater sign on the facade of the second story. Evidently the Miracle on 8th Street is a step closer to reality. For more, and a rendering of the sign, see the CHC posting of June 16, 2012 here: http://bit.ly/1N38FIW
Meanwhile, at 8th and L on lower 8th Street, the summer beer garden – The Brig – inches incrementally toward completion. No word yet on the “new concept” restaurant slated to occupy the former Tortilla Chicken across the street. See previous postings on both items here: http://bit.ly/1zdKXmE
Finally, Barracks Row Main Street Announced that Frame of Mine will relocate to the space at 545 8th Street, formerly occupied by the Playseum. That space will be shared by another yet to be named retail tenant. For more on that, go here: http://bit.ly/1SyA3W7
The Week Ahead….Hill East PSA 108 Crime Meeting on Thursday
Light In August could describe the schedule for Ward Six ANCs this month. There’s nothing much until some ANC6A committee meetings mid-month. Otherwise, the featured event for the week ahead is Thursday’s PSA 108 meeting, moved from August 20 owing to the recent increase in crime in Hill East. CHC will post crime maps from the last 30 days prior to that meeting.
Monday, August 3
1. The Office of Deputy Mayor Courtney Snowden hosts a meeting at the Rosedale Rec Center (1701 Gales Street NE) at 6:30pm. The “Vision Tour” offers an opportunity for residents to share and discuss the future of the “East of End” of ANC 6A and 7D01…including education, families, economic development, job growth, safety and health.
Tuesday, August 4
1. North Lincoln Park Neighborhood Association (NLPNA) holds a potluck supper 7:00pm – 8:30pm in Lincoln Park. All are welcome.
2. National Night Out (MPD 1st District) 5:30 – 8:30pm, Folger Park, 3rd and D Streets, SE. Neighbors celebrate community unity, safety information, and recognize citizen volunteers. For more, go here: http://mpdc.dc.gov/node/206682
Thursday, August 6
1. PSA 108, featuring MPD Lt. James Dykes, meets at 7:00pm, at Liberty Baptist Church, 527 Kentucky Avenue, SE. ANC6B Commissioner Brian Flahaven says, “I encourage anyone who has questions or concerns about recent criminal activity and incidents in the neighborhood to attend the meeting. Lt. Dykes and his officers will provide the latest information and answer resident questions.”
2. PSA 107, featuring Lt. Eddie Fowler, meets at 7:00pm, at SE Library.
3. Friends of Southeast Library (FOSEL) meets at 5:30pm at Southeast Library, lower level to discuss the August FOSEL book sale, and other matters.