The series of murals promoting DC Statehood near the corner of 8th Street and Virginia Avenue, SE, having reached the end of their year-long run, are being replaced. MuralsDC – the DC Department of Public Works Graffiti Prevention Initiative – has commissioned a series of new murals for the site which will reflect the themes of unity and community featuring local references – landscape features and architecture. http://muralsdcproject.com/
Capitol Hill Corner is documenting the creation of the three murals. The first one completed is Hannah Atallah’s “Rootedness and Displacement’, based on a photo by Conrado Muluc. See here: https://www.hannahatallah.com/ https://www.instagram.com/conradomuluc/?hl=en
The Week Ahead…and some Photos from the Past Week
By Larry Janezich
Posted, August 29, 2021
The Week Ahead…
Monday, August 30
ANC6C Alcoholic Beverage Licensing Committee will hold a virtual meeting at 7:00pm.
For info on how to join the meeting, go here:
- citizenM,1222 1st Street NE, application for a new retailer’s class C hotel liquor license.
- citizenM, 1222 1st Street NE, application for a new retailer’s Class B liquor license.
Tuesday, August 31
ANC6B Executive Committee holds a virtual meeting at 7:00pm.
For info on how to join the meeting, go here: https://anc6b.org/event/executive-committee-meeting-8/?instance_id=115
- To set the agenda for the upcoming meeting of the full ANC on September 14.
Wednesday, September 1
ANC6C Planning, Zoning, and Economic Development Committee will hold a virtual meeting at 6:30pm.
For info on how to join the meeting, go here: https://anc6c.org/september-2021-virtual-meeting-details/
Among items on the draft agenda:
- Reminder of non-standard date for this month’s full ANC meeting: Thursday, September 9
- 617 A Street, NE – Zoning Adjustment Application to construct an accessory garage with roof deck for an existing, attached two-story principal dwelling unit.
- 200 K Street, NE – Zoning Application of Toll DC II LP, for a modification of significance to a previously approved PUD to allow for use of approximately 6,950 square feet (of the 13,801 square feet of gross floor area devoted to retail uses) for animal sales, care, and boarding use in Phase II – i.e., the Union Place Apartments.
- 111 Massachusetts Avenue, NW – Zoning Application of Georgetown University for a PUD modification of consequence and a waiver, to allow the application to be processed as a modification of consequence (and thus without the need for a hearing) rather than as a modification of significance, for an existing building (authorized under the prior PUD orders for commercial, residential, and retail use).
- 227, 233-235, 237-239 Massachusetts Ave. NE – Historic Preservation application of Hillsdale College for concept approval for new penthouses and reconfiguration of plazas.
- 300 New Jersey Ave. NW & 51 Louisiana Avenue, NW – Zoning Adjustment Application for special exception relief, allow the construction of a penthouse addition that will serve an existing rooftop deck on the existing, detached commercial building.
Thursday, September 2
ANC6C Transportation and Public Space Committee holds a virtual meeting at 7:00pm.
For info on how to join the meeting, go here: https://anc6c.org/hot-topics/
Among items on the draft agenda:
- Public Space Application at 1133 North Capitol Street, NE.
- Swampoodle II at 3rd and L Street NE. NoMa Parks Foundation is planning for Swampoodle II at the northwest corner of 3rd and L Streets NE. The Committee will hear updates from the NoMa Parks Foundation, including proposed traffic calming measures and crossing design.
- Recommended Circulator Route from Union Station-Deanwood. DDOT’s Transit Development Plan 2020 update recommends a new Circulator route from Union Station to Deanwood; The Committee will consider making a recommendation for the ANC to submit to DDOT.
- Baltimore-Washington SCMAGLEV Draft EIS. ANC6C submitted comments last May to the Federal Railroad Administration on the Baltimore-Washington SCMAGLEV Project draft environmental impact statement (DEIS). Since then, additional comments have been noted on the DEIS, including comments from the DC Office of Planning and the District Department of Transportation. The Committee will consider making a recommendation for the ANC to request Mayor Bowser and Chairman Mendelson to submit additional comments on the project.
- 6th Street NE between K Street NE and Florida Ave NE was reconfigured as a part of Florida Ave Project’s interim safety improvements, which included shifting 6th St NE to oneway northbound and including protected bike lanes on both sides of the streets. The Committee will consider making recommendations to the full ANC to request funding to complete 6th St NE improvements on the same timeline as the rest of the Florida Ave Project.