The National Park Service announced today that the cherry blossoms are at their peak. Road closures are in place for vehicular traffic around the Tidal Basin, East Potomac Park and West Potomac Park, effective Friday, March 26. Here’s a link to the latest information on access: https://www.nps.gov/nama/cherryroads21.htm Here’s a link to a piece by Capitol Hill writer Stephanie Cavanaugh on other places to enjoy the blooms: https://mylittlebird.com/2021/03/green-acre-234-cherry-blossoms-2021/
The Week Ahead…ANC Highlights & Some Photos from the Past Week
by Larry Janezich
- Tuesday: ANC6D Special Meeting to discuss two redevelopment projects, Greenleaf Gardens & Westminster Church.
Monday, March 29
DC 101: Community Safety. Join Serve Your City and Moms Demand Action DC and other local leaders for an in-depth conversation on community safety in the District.
To join the meeting, register here: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZUvceqprz0iE9DfTbY3sNdV_Dx2NzEprKA2
- Ron Moten, Don’t Mute DC
- Ryane Nickens, The TraRon Center
- Sean Blackmon, Stop Police Terror Project DC
- Tia Bell, The Trigger Project
- Lashonia Thompson-El, Women Involved in Reentry Efforts – The WIRE
Tuesday, March 30
ANC6B Executive Committee holds a virtual meeting at 7:00pm.
For info on joining the meeting, go here: https://www.anc6b.org/calendar/
- Determining the agenda for the Commission’s April 13 meeting.
ANC 6D will hold a special meeting at 7:00pm.
For info on joining the meeting, go here: www.anc6d.org/virtualmeeting
- Discussion of two redevelopment projects, Greenleaf Gardens & Westminster Church in SW DC.
Wednesday, March 31
RESCHEDULED FROM WEDNESDAY, MARCH 34. The Department of General Services holds a virtual meeting at 1:30pm.
The meeting is open to the public and a link to join the meeting is distributed the day of.
- Update the Eastern Market Metro Park Advisory Taskforce on the renovation of Eastern Market Metro Plaza, at 1:30pm.
Saturday April 3
Call for volunteers.
- Help needed with the Potomac Avenue Pocket Parks. Meet at 10:00am at the park along K (the one with the splash pad). We will be mulching and planting hostas along the back fence, and clearing up at the point to create a space for colorful flowers. Same rules apply: Volunteers should bring water, gloves, and hand tools if they have them. Folks can register to volunteer at https://guerrillagardenersdc.org/volunteer
Volunteers turned out on Saturday March 27 for Phase 1 work of the fist Potomac Triangle Park. Next Saturday, Phase II. Photos courtesy of Guerrilla Gardeners.