Likewise at East Capitol and Second Street…
In celebration of the Cherry Blossom Festival, organizers have commissioned 26 giant sculptures, painted by 25 talented local and national artists and installed in various locations across Washington, DC, and in Maryland’s National Harbor and in Virginia’s Aurora Highlands and National Landing neighborhoods. This one – near the playground at Pennsylvania Avenue and 9th Street – is “Flower Kuties” by 17 year old Kaila Garcia, a senior at Duke Ellington School of the Arts. To see all 26 sculptures and for more information, go here: https://bit.ly/317KSXa
The Week Ahead – and Some Photos from the Past Week
By Larry Janezich
Posted March 21, 2021
Call for Volunteers: Former ANC6B Commissioner Kelly Waud, continuing community involvement after retiring from the ANC in January, is appealing for volunteers to continue the upgrading of the Potomac Avenue Parks. See Saturday entry below.
Monday, March 22
CANCELLED ANC 6A Community Outreach Committee (COC)
Tuesday, March 23
ANC6A Alcoholic Beverage Licensing Committee holds a virtual meeting at 7:00pm.
For info on joining the meeting, go here: https://anc6a.org/community-calendar/
Among items on the draft agenda:
- Discussion of a potential future application for a license by an unspecified establishment at 1500 East Capitol Street, NE.
- Finalization of and discussion of delivery of a letter from the ANC to all ABRA licensees with ANC6A re discontinuing use of anti-loitering language in Settlement/Community Agreements.
Wednesday, March 24
The Department of General Services will hold a virtual meeting to update the Eastern Market Metro Park Advisory Taskforce on the renovation of Eastern Market Metro Plaza, at 1:30pm.
Typically, info on joining the meeting is distributed shortly before the meeting.
The Eastern Market Community Advisory Committee will hold a virtual meeting at 7:00pm.
Typically, info on joining the meeting is distributed a day or two before the meeting.
Among items on the draft agenda:
- Report of the Chair
- Budget Review Status
- Report of the Market Manager
- Strategic Plan Update
- Security update
- Budget update
- Outdoor Covid operating procedures: any changes?
- Status of the conflict resolution proposal
- Signage and banner update
- Capital Improvements Report: Monte Edwards
- Tenant’s Council Report
- Eastern Market Metro Plaza Update
Thursday, March 25
ANC6A Ad Hoc By-Laws Committee holds a virtual meeting
Info on joining the meeting will be posted 24 hours prior to the meeting here: https://anc6a.org/community-calendar/
Saturday, March 27
- Call for volunteers to help with the Potomac Avenue Pocket Parks. Meet at 10:00am at the park along I Street, SE (with the playground equipment). The plan is to mix in more mulch/ soil conditioner, weed around the hedge in the back and add some plantings. Volunteers should bring water, gloves, and hand tools if they have them. Folks can register to volunteer at https://guerrillagardenersdc.org/volunteer
On Saturday April 3
- Call for volunteers to help with the Potomac Avenue Pocket Parks. Meet at 10:00am at the park along K (with the splash pad). We will be mulching and planting hostas along the back fence, and clearing up at the point to create a space for colorful flowers. Same rules apply: Volunteers should bring water, gloves, and hand tools if they have them. Folks can register to volunteer at https://guerrillagardenersdc.org/volunteer