The Week Ahead…Community Meeting on SE Safeway Development on Monday
by Larry Janezich
Monday, October 24
- Southeast Safeway/developer team holds the first of multiple public meeting to introduce the redevelopment of the Southeast Safeway. 7:00pm, Hill Center, 921 Pennsylvania Avenue, SE.
According to ANC6B Commissioner Nick Burger, the site will be redeveloped into a by-right mixed use building, which will include a Safeway store, additional retail, and residential units on the upper stories. Because of the large retail space(s), the project will go through a “large tract review” process. For more info on the large tract review process, see Burger’s blog post here: http://bit.ly/2elPm85
For a previous CHC post on this subject, see here: http://bit.ly/2edWeUd
- ANC 6A Community Outreach Committee meets at 7pm at Maury Elementary School, Multi-Purpose Room, 1250 Constitution Avenue, NE.
Among items on the agenda:
Review of grant application from Ludlow-Taylor ES PTO
Review of grant application from Eliot-Hine MS PTO
Tuesday, October 25
- ANC6B Executive Committee meets at
7:00pm8:15pm in Hill Center, to set the agenda for the November meeting of ANC6B.
- Capitol Hill Village is sponsoring a series of symposia to explore challenges and options as the Hill population ages, from 9:00 to 3:30pm at Hill Center. Registration is free, but call 202 543 1778 to register. For more information about the meetings, see here: http://www.capitolhillvillage.org/
Wednesday, October 26
Eastern Market Community Advisory Committee meets at 7:00pm in North Hall, Eastern Market.
Among items on the agenda:
Market Managers Report by Barry Margeson
Hine Update: Jonathan Page and Diane Hoskins
Friday, October 28
- Annal Hilloween event at Eastern Market, 5:30pm to 7:30pm. Hayrides, bouncy farm obstacle course, face painter, truck touch – construction vehicles and fire trucks. Costumes are encouraged.
- 17 top ceramic artists participate in “Pottery on the Hill” from October 28 – October 30.
Friday night – Preview Reception p- 6:30pm. Tickets: $30/advance, $35/day of. Tickets are available at potteryonthehilldc.org or by calling (202) 549-4172
On Saturday and Sunday, a free show and sale is open to the public.
Potters in the 2016 shows include: Mary Barringer (Shelburne Falls, MA), Bob Briscoe (Harris, MN), Bulldog Pottery-Bruce Gholson & Samantha Henneke (Seagrove, NC), Kyle Carpenter (Asheville, NC), Trista Depp Chapman (Fredericksburg, VA), Naomi Dalglish (Bakersville, NC), Dan Finnegan (Fredericksburg, VA), Ryan Greenheck (Philadelphia, PA), Rick Hensley (Floyd, VA), Michael Hunt (Bakersville, NC), Matthew Hyleck (Baltimore, MD), Matthew Metz (Alfred Station, NY), Ronan Peterson (Chapel Hill, NC), Donna Polseno (Floyd, VA), Stacy Snyder (Arlington, VA) and Catherine White (Warrenton, VA).
Capitol Hill Art League is having its sixth annual open call exhibition.
The deadline to apply for the show is December 18th, 2016.
Find all the details about the juror and for applying to the show here. http://www.caphillartleague.org