Update on Eastern Market Metro Plaza Renovation
by Larry Janezich
Last Wednesday, Diego Martinez, the Department of General Services project manager for the renovation of the plaza briefed the Eastern Market Plaza Advisory Taskforce on the status of work.
- Work on Parcel 1 (playground parcel) is nearing completion. The playground will be closed for 3 days after one week’s notice which will be posted on the playground on October 5, while a shade structure is installed.
- A monumental wayfinding panel will be installed on Parcel 1 during October.
- Dead trees and plants will be removed and replaced in mid-October.
- The permitting process for Phase 2 (everything but Parcel 1) is underway and will continue into early October. Work on those Parcels – 2,3,4,5, and 6 will start later in the fall of 2020.
- The deadline for artists’ submission of concepts for a 3 dimensional art installation with an electrical component (lighting) for Parcel 4 near the Metro entrance, is October 15. The final selection will be based on the concept which best aligns with community survey results. The Eastern Market Metro Plaza Advisory Taskforce will have an opportunity to provide input on the concepts prior to the final selection.
- There will be a virtual community meeting next Thursday, October 1, from 6:30 – 8:00pm, to discuss the work plan for Phase 2.
Join the meeting:
Meeting password: 43809845
Join by phone
+1-202-860-2110 United States Toll (Washington D.C.)
1-650-479-3208 Call-in toll number (US/Canada)
For additional information about joining the meeting and on the project, go here: