New on Barracks Row: Arena Social Arts Club, 507 8th Street, SE, will open this spring as an art and event space dedicated to the visual arts, concentrating on artists of color. The recently renovated building with 7,000 square feet of space served until recently as Shakespeare Theater’s Rehearsal Hall. Behind the enterprise is Ian Callender – creator of Blind Whino, now Culture House at 700 Delaware Avenue, SW. Callender: “It’s not just a gallery space we’re after, we want to create a delicate balance where we could hold an art opening or fancy wedding one afternoon and the next day we could hold a kids arts and crafts event or an ANC meeting in the same environment.” For more info go here: https://www.arenasocial.org/ Here’s more on Callender from an article a couple of years ago in The Southwester: http://bit.ly/3sgRgah
Also new on Barracks Row is Movement Methods Chiropractic at 719 8th Street, SE, second floor. Dr. Daniel Osborn, a board certified chiropractic physician, specializes in sports medicine and treating all types of sports-related injuries. Here’s the website for more information or to book appointments – or call 202-547-0317.
The Week Ahead – New on Barracks Row – Photos – Meeting Highlights
by Larry Janezich
This Week’s Meeting Highlights:
Wednesday – DGS Virtually Briefs EMMPAT on Eastern Market Metro Park Progress.
Wednesday – Eastern Market Community Advisory Committee Virtual Meeting.
The Week Ahead…
Monday, February 22
ANC 6A Community Outreach Committee holds a virtual meeting at 7:00pm
- For info on how to join the meeting, go here: https://anc6a.org/community-calendar/
Among items on the draft agenda:
- Presentation: Hannah Jacobson Blumenfeld, Serve Your City on behalf of Ward 6 Mutual Aid.
- HIPS Presentation: Cyndee Clay, Shakita Chapman, and Tamika Spellman.
Tuesday, February 23
ANC6B Executive Committee holds a virtual meeting at 7:00pm.
- For information on how to join the meeting, go here: http://bit.ly/37vBHDN
- To set the agenda for the March meeting of ANC6B.
Wednesday, February 24
DGS will hold a virtual meeting to brief the Eastern Market Metro Park Advisory Taskforce on progress on the redevelopment of Eastern Market Metro Park. The meeting is monthly, and usually occurs at 1:00pm.
- Information on joining the meeting will be available day of – usually mid-morning.
Eastern Market Community Advisory Committee will hold a virtual meeting at 7:30pm – one-half hour later than their usual meeting time.
Join Zoom Meeting
- Meeting ID: 882 9243 8557
- Passcode: 896104
- One tap mobile
- +19292056099,,88292438557#,,,,*896104# US (New York)
- +13017158592,,88292438557#,,,,*896104# US (Washington DC)
Among items on the draft agenda:
- Report of the Chair
- Budget Review Status
- Security at Eastern Market
- Report of the Market Manager
- Strategic Plan update
- return to normal operating hours update
- Status of the conflict resolution proposal
- Signage and banner update
- Capital Improvements Report: Monte Edwards
- Tenant’s Council Report
- Eastern Market Metro Plaza Update
Thursday, February 25
ANC6A Ad Hoc By Laws Committee holds a virtual meeting at 7:00pm
- Call-in information will be posted 24 hours prior to the meeting.
- To consider revision of the ANC6A By Laws