The splash pad at Eastern Market Metro Plaza opened for a trial run on Wednesday, two days in advance of the official opening of DC’s splash pads on Saturday. Not many taker’s Saturday or Sunday, but business is expected to improve during the coming week.
The Week Ahead…Highlight…Some Photos from the Past Week
- Tuesday – Expansion of services at Southeast Library
- Wednesday – ANC6B Transportation Committee. DDOT explains plans for prioritizing bikes and buses and asking for feedback from all users of the PA Ave Corridor.
- Saturday – Volunteers needed for Neighborhood Clean-up Starting across from Eastern Market Metro.
TUESDAY, JUNE 1
Expansion of services at Southeast Library.
- Patrons will be allowed to browse the collections and sit inside.
ANC6B Planning and Zoning Committee will hold a virtual meeting at 7:00pm. Chair: Corey Holman
For info on joining the meeting, go here: https://bit.ly/3fzR4PX
- 818 Potomac Avenue, SE. Zoning Adjustment Application. Modification of Significance to change the principal use to a hotel and for a special exception to eliminate the previously required and approved loading area.
- 13 7th Street, SE. Zoning Adjustment Application for a Special Exception to construct a rear addition to an existing, attached, two-story principal dwelling unit.
- 241 11th Street, SE. Historic Preservation Application. Concept review to infill dogleg and rebuild existing one-story garage as a two-story dwelling.
- 515 5th Street, SE. Historic Preservation Application. Concept review for a two-story addition at rear.
- 647 A Street, SE. Historic Preservation and Zoning Adjustment Application for Concept review and Special Exceptions for lot occupancy for two story rear addition and dogleg infill.
- 733 8th Street, SE. Historic Preservation Application. Concept review for addition of two stories plus penthouse to an existing non-contributing two story building for residential use with potential for ground floor retail.
- 900 South Carolina Avenue, SE. Historic Preservation Application. Concept review of proposal to remove awning and bays at front and add two new door openings; add two window wells at west elevation and larger basement areaway at rear; new window openings at rear second story; new openings and cladding at rear one-story addition; new openings at one-story garage.
- Potential Appeal of Building Permit – proposed DoorDash DashMart re resolution of parking spaces in public space.
- 232 10th Street, SE. Historic Preservation and Zoning Adjustment Applications for Concept review and a Special Exception to construct a three-story and roof deck rear addition to an existing attached, two-story principal dwelling unit.
WEDNESDAY JUNE 2
ANC 6B Transportation Committee will hold a virtual meeting at 7:00pm. Chair: Kirsten Oldenburg
For info on joining the meeting, go here: https://bit.ly/3fzApw0
- Discussion with DDOT Team on Pennsylvania Avenue SE Corridor Study. DDOT explains plans for prioritizing bikes and buses and asking for feedback from all users of the PA Ave Corridor.
- MoveDC Comments (tentative)
ANC 6C Planning, Zoning, and Economic Development Committee will hold a virtual meeting at 7:00pm. Chair: Mark Eckenweiler
For info on joining the meeting, go here: https://bit.ly/2TtBBZb
- 622 Eye Street, NE. Zoning Adjustment Application – further-revised application for a special exception to convert an existing residential building into a five-unit apartment house and for variance relief from the 900-square-foot/unit
- 899-999 North Capitol Street, NE. (informational/non-voting) – Developers intend to file an application for design review to allow development of a mixed-use building with lodging and/or residential use and ground-floor retail uses and renovations and ground-level retail expansion of existing office buildings at 899-999 North Capitol Street, NE. The Property is located on the east side of North Capitol Street, NE between H and K Street, NE, and consists of approximately 134,579 square feet of land area located in the High Density Commercial land-use category on the Future Land Use Map of the Comprehensive Plan. The project will redevelop Lot 854 with an up to 11-story, 130’ mixed-use building with up to approximately 163,788 square feet of gross floor area of lodging and/or residential use and up to approximately 8,000 square feet of retail/commercial use, along with introducing significant hardscaping and landscaping improvements. The project will also renovate the existing office buildings on Lots 853 and 855 and construct ground-level additions at the front of these buildings containing approximately 6,980 square feet of retail/commercial uses (and these buildings will also be reduced by approximately 5,306 square feet of office use).
THURSDAY, MAY 30
ANC6B ABC Committee will hold a virtual meeting at 7:00pm. Chair: Brian Ready.
For info on joining the meeting, go here: https://bit.ly/3pbQona
(*this case has been placed on Consent for June 8th Full ANC Monthly Meeting)
- Gandel’s Liquors, 211 Pennsylvania Ave SE. Class A / Retail – Liquor Store, Tasting Endorsement.
- *Hayden’s, 700 North Carolina Avenue, SE. Renewal of Class “A” Liquor License
- JJ Mutt Wine & Spirits, 643 Pennsylvania Avenue, SE. Renewal of Class “A” Liquor License.
- Chat’s Liquors, 503 8th Street, SE. Renewal of Class “A” Liquor License.
- South East Market & Liquors, 1500 Independence Avenue, SE. Renewal of Class “A” Liquor License.
- World Wine and Spirits, 1453 Pennsylvania Avenue, SE. Renewal of Class “A” Liquor License with Tasting Endorsement.
- Albert’s Liquors, 328 Kentucky Avenue, SE. Class “A” / Retail – Liquor Store.
- Harvest Tide Steak House, 212 7th Street, SE. New Retailer’s Class “C” Restaurant.
- Santa Rosa Taqueria 301 Pennsylvania Avenue, SE. Transfer of Class “C” Restaurant License.
ANC 6C Transportation and Public Space Committee will hold a virtual meeting at 7:00pm. Chair: Christy Kwan
For info on joining the meeting, go here: https://bit.ly/3yNBMhX
- Walking alley behind 308 and 310 A Street, NE. Owners of 308 and 310 A Street NE have submitted an application to close the walking alley behind 310 A Street, NE. The walking alley is between 7 and 8 feet wide and the closure does not change the main public alley in Square 785. The proposed closed walking alley property will be divided into two taxable lots and eventually reverted to the owners of 308 and 310 A Street, NE.
- Dave Thomas Circle 65% Design Plans. DDOT hosted a virtual public meeting on May 17, 2021 to present the 65% design for the Florida Avenue-New York Avenue NE Intersection Project (“Dave Thomas Circle”). The meeting provided an opportunity for the public to learn about the latest key design elements, ask questions, and provide feedback to inform the designs. Comments are due by the end of the day on Friday, June 18, 2021. All project details are available at FloridaAveProject.com
SATURDAY, JUNE 5
Seeking Volunteers for Neighborhood Clean-up Starting at Eastern Market Metro
ANC6B Commissioner Edward Ryder sends:
On Saturday, June 5th at 10am, there will be another neighborhood cleanup starting near 900 D Street, SE, (across the street from the Eastern Market Metro Plaza). The plan is to spread out from there in different directions to ensure we clean as much of the neighborhood as possible.
I will have extra gloves and trash bags on hand, but please bring sunscreen, water, and your own trash picker. This event does also count for community service hours for DC public school students. Just be sure to see me after you’ve wrapped up so I can sign the service form. I’ll have a few extra forms on hand with me as well.
We will also have some special guests from the University of Tennessee – DC alumni chapter who are joining us for their annual Volunteering with the Vols event. You don’t need to be an alumnus to participate in the cleanup, but feel free to represent your own alma mater and partake in some friendly exchanges about sports or academics.
This cleanup is for the larger neighborhood, not just our corner of it, so please forward and invite anyone you know who might be interested in cleaning up the neighborhood!