The Week Ahead…and Some Photos from Last Week
By Larry Janezich
Posted September 19, 2021
Monday, September 20
ANC6A Committee on Transportation and Public Space holds a virtual meeting at 7:00pm.
For info on how to join the meeting, go here: https://anc6a.org/community-calendar/
Among items on the draft agenda:
- 1300 block of North Carolina Avenue NE bike lane installation options. The District Department of Transportation (DDOT) is currently considering what type of bicycle facility to add to the 1300 block of North Carolina Avenue as part of its high priority bicycle network, and to ensure continuity between the C Street project (under construction) and the rest of the city’s bicycle network. This includes consideration of different options for directions of placement of car traffic and bicycle traffic lanes, including conversion to one-way vehicle traffic, as well as consideration of car parking and traffic calming measures. Will Handsfield, DDOT Bicycle Program Specialist, will follow up on questions raised at the July 2021 TPS meeting. DDOT is seeking the recommendation of the ANC as to which of the proposed designs (A through E) the community would prefer. In addition, DDOT is seeking input on proposed design adjustments to the intersection at 14th Street and North Carolina Avenue NE.
- Discussion about the ANC 6C letter to DDOT requesting permanent bike lanes around the Capitol Building on Independence and East Capitol Avenues; discussion of temporary fencing.
- Update on DDOT walkthrough of 17th Street and 19th Street from C Street NE to Potomac Avenue SE.
- Traffic Safety Assessment (TSA) request for all-way stop at local-local intersection of 16th Street and Constitution Avenue, NE. Requesting raised crosswalks if DDOT does not grant request for all-way stop control.
- Rock ‘n Roll Marathon Route. Diane Romo Thomas will discuss planned street closures along H Street, NE, eastbound from 4th to 13th Street to Constitution Avenue to North Carolina Avenue to C Street to the finish line at RFK for the race taking place on November 13, 2021.
Friday, September 24
Friday Night Live Jazz at Eastern Market Metro Plaza with Herb Scott – 5:00pm to 6:30pm.
Saturday, September 25
Children’s Programming at Eastern Market Metro Plaza with Marsha and the Positron – 10:00am to 11:30am