Both restaurants have applied for liquor licenses but both have a ways to go as far as the build out goes – as shown above. CHC reported on plans to open Sala Thai last January. See here: https://bit.ly/3Lam9Ym
The Week Ahead…& Some Photos from the Past Week
by Larry Janezich
Posted October 9, 2022
Tuesday, October 11
ANC6B will hold a virtual meeting at 7:00pm.
For info on how to join the meeting, go here: https://anc6b.org/
Among items on the draft agenda:
Alcoholic Beverage Control Committee
- Alcohol beverage license renewals: Barrel, 613 Pennsylvania Avenue, SE, Class “C” Tavern License; The Eastern, 360 7th Street, SE, Class “C” Tavern License; Raman Bar, 525 8th Street, SE, Class C Restaurant license.
- Paraiso, 1101 Pennsylvania Avenue SE. Review of updated Settlement Agreement.
- Mendelsohn 301, LLC, Amendment to Settlement Agreement.
Planning and Zoning Committee
- 117 12th Street, SE. Historic Preservation Application. Concept review for construction of a new two-story residential building.
- 117 12th Street, SE. Zoning Adjustment Application. Special Exception to raze an existing shed and construct a new, detached, two-story principal dwelling unit
- 639 A Street, SE. Zoning Adjustment Application. Special Exception to construct a two-story garage with accessory apartment, to an existing, semi-detached, two-story with cellar, principal dwelling unit
- Review of Residential Parking at 4th & Independence Avenue SE – Commissioner Jennifer Samolyk.
Wednesday, October 12
ANC6C will hold a virtual meeting at 7:00pm.
For info on how to join the meeting, go here: https://anc6c.org/hot-topics/
Among items of the draft agenda:
- C. Sentencing Commission – Brittany Bunch
Alcoholic Beverage Licensing Committee
- Sweet Sweet Kitchen, 500 H Street NE. New application, Class C tavern license.
- Vision Lounge, 707 H Street, NE, New application, Class C tavern license.
- Renewal applications – Wundergarten, 131 M Street, NE; The Little Grand, 808 7th Street, NE; Laos In Town, 250 K Street NE, Scissors and Scotch, 331 N Street, NE; UNO Chicago Grill, 50 Massachusetts Ave NE; Columbus Club in Union Station, 50 Massachusetts Avenue, NE.
Transportation and Public Space Committee (Michael Upright, chair)
- Update on Boiling Crab
- Open Streets
- Transportation and the Environment Committee, Council hearing, Bill 24-433, Rightsizing Residential Parking
- Permit Parking Regulation Amendment Act
Planning, Zoning, and Economic Development Committee
- 601 Massachusetts Avenue, NE, Historic Preservation Application. Concept approval to convert a one-story to a three-story building.
- 616 Lexington Place NE, Historic Preservation Application. Concept approval for rear and attic addition.
- 401 K Street NE, Zoning Adjustment Application. After-the-fact permission for removal of an original rooftop cornice.
- Environment, Parks, and Events Committee.
- Update on NoMa parks projects and future plans – NoMa BID Team.
- Update on Reservation 315, park at 5th and I Streets, NE—Transfer from NPS to DCPR, awaiting mayor’s action.
Thursday, October 13
ANC6A will hold a virtual meeting at 7:00pm.
For info on how to join the meeting, go here: https://anc6a.org/community-calendar/
Among items on the draft agenda:
- DOEE’s Solar for All – Daniel Jones, Communication Specialist, GRID Alternatives Mid-Atlantic.
- Installation of Residential Pollinator Gardens – Thorne Rankin, Co-Founder, DC Natives.
- Letter of support to ABRA for the Class C Tavern license renewal of The Pursuit Wine Bar and Kitchen at 1025 H Street, NE.
- Letter of support to ABRA for the Class C Tavern license renewal of Vibez on H at 1378 H Street, NE.
- Letter of opposition to ABRA regarding the Class C Tavern license renewal of Bar Bullfrog/Bullfrog Bagels at 1341 H Street, NE, unless a settlement agreement is entered into prior to the protest date.
- Letter of opposition to ABRA regarding the Class C Tavern license renewal of The Queen Vic at 1206 H Street, NE, unless an updated settlement agreement is entered into prior to the protest date.
- Letter of support to ABRA for the Class C Tavern license renewal of Mythology, Lore, & Dirty Water/Beetle House DC at 816 H Street, NE.
- Consideration of a recommendation ANC 6A take no action with respect to the substantial change request of Ocean Lounge at 1220 H Street, NE, to add a Summer Garden to their existing license.
- Consideration of a recommendation that ANC 6A edit the Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) language to add new text providing for the provisional removal of any committee member who has three or more unexcused absences without good cause in a 12 month period or about whom the ANC has received one or more complaints of significant concern that may be considered inconsistent with the ANC 6A Code of Conduct or other reasonable standard.
- Letter to DDOT requesting that School Parking Zone permits cover a radius that does not extend to neighboring ANCs should any permit be issued to Capitol Hill Montessori or other schools that are more than a few blocks away from the adjacent ANC.
Transportation and Public Space Committee
- Letter to DDOT in support of an Open Streets event on 8th Street from Florida Avenue NE to M Street, SE.
- Letter to DDOT expressing concern about need to provide ANCs with adequate opportunity to review and provide comment on school applications for street parking permits under the School Parking Zone program for SWS at Goding and other future applications and that ANC 6A send a letter to DDOT requesting that signage for south side of G Street NE (adjacent to Sherwood Recreation Center), which is currently not RPP parking, but adjusted to permit holders of the School Parking Zone permits for School-Within-School to park there.
- Planning, Zoning, and Economic Development Committee
- Letter of support to BZA for Special Exception zoning relief to construct a third story addition, and a two-story with cellar rear addition, and convert to a flat, an existing, semi-detached, two-story with cellar, principal dwelling unit.
- Letter of support to HPRB for historic relief to construct a third floor partial addition and roof deck at 813 Massachusetts Avenue, NE.
- Suggested Motion: ANC 6A send a letter of support for DDOT’s request to consolidate the B2 bus stops on 14th Street, NE, from three to two stops, with a preference for retaining the stops at 14th and D Streets, NE, and 14th Street and North Carolina Avenue, NE, in their current locations. The request was made as part of the traffic calming proposal for the 1100-1500 blocks of C Street NE.
2 responses to “The Week Ahead…& Some Photos from the Past Week”
No surprise on the trees dying at the Eastern Market Metro.
Our urban foresters seemed to pay no attention to the damage being done by the renovation to try to save the trees. Now we can count on them to choose the wrong tree for that location (as they did the first time around and did on Eighth Street earlier). The Eighth Street trees are good only for fast growth–the limbs split off, they are not hardy for urban use and break easily in winds and storms.
My guess is that they will choose another ugly, unsuitable tree like the so called “Coffee Trees” that they have been planting in the neighborhood that look like they are stricken to begin with and then provide no benefit as they grow older and uglier, other than high maintenance. Or perhaps more River Birches, which they put into the small pocket parks on Pennsylvania Avenue, and are renown for their roots getting into water and sewer pipes causing backups and damage underground.
Think native trees.
Whether or not they function well in streetscapes, river birches are native to the eastern US. Many tree roots get into pipes for the simple reason that the pipes are already damaged.