Redesign of the 11th Street Freeway Off Ramp. Last Wednesday, the ANC6B Transportation heard a presentation from DDOT on the 30% design stage of the proposal to alter the SE/SW Freeway east bound exit ramp to 11th Street, SE. DDOT says safety is the number one consideration but stresses the plan balances the needs of motorists, bicyclists and pedestrians. This was the first time DDOT came back to the committee since April of 2021, when Committee Chair Corey Holman lambasted the presenters for favoring motorists over pedestrians and bicyclists. The committee followed up with a letter detailing the changes they wanted to the intersection. See here: https://bit.ly/3spn9NE Last week the DDOT returned to the committee with the 30% complete re-design in hand. The details showed that DDOT had tinkered around the margins of the recommendations, but did not change the major concern – widening the off ramp and making more concessions to cyclists and pedestrians. Unhappy attendees at the meeting pushed back, voicing their opposition and disappointment. The final design will be finished next summer and construction will begin as funds are available. The committee voted to send a letter to DDOT summarizing attendee’s concerns expressing the committee’s major concerns about widening the ramp and the impact on cyclist and pedestrian safety. The letter goes to the full ANC for its meeting next Wednesday.
Open Street Event for 8th Street SE/NE. Also on Wednesday, after some wrangling over language, the ANC6B Transportation Committee agreed unanimously to recommend the full ANC send a conditional letter of support for an Open Street Event on 8th Street, SE/NE some Saturday next spring. Concerns have been raised by the Eastern Market Community Advisory Committee about the impact on Eastern Market and customer (not to mention residents) access to parking at 700 Pennsylvania Avenue which houses Trader Joe’s. Working out the details regarding these issues – including closing of cross streets, (H Street NE, East Capitol Street, Pennsylvania Avenue SE, Maryland Avenue) – would fall to those event planners at DDOT. The event is being pushed by Open Streets advocate Mark Sussman. ANC6A and ANC6C have already given their conditional support. Go here for more on DC Open Streets https://openstreets.dc.gov/
Historic Landmark Status for Peter Bug Academy. On Tuesday, the ANC6B Planning and Zoning Committee gave its endorsement to a proposal to grant Historic Landmark status to the Peter Bug Shoe Academy at 1320 E Street, SE. Matthews was in attendance at the virtual meeting when Todd Jones of the DC Historic Preservation Office presented the case for the designation to the committee. More later on this. Peter Bug Matthews has achieved icon status for long service to the community and the recommendation will go to the full ANC’s consent calendar for their meeting next Wednesday (a day later than usual owing to the election).
Renovation of Folget Library. Here’s a work in progress photo on the Folger Library. The Library is closed for major renovation under a time line that would see it reopen in 2023. But…I don’t know. We’ll see.
Here’s a rendering of what it will look like.
Triple Candie Again. Here are some parts of Triple Candie’s latest abstruse installation at the Li’l Pub at 655 Pennsylvania Avenue. Triple Candie takes conceptualism in a new direction, eliminating the museum, the gallery, the art market, and in some respects, the art.
The Week Ahead…& Some Photos from the Past Week
by Larry Janezich
Posted November 6, 2022
Tuesday, November 8
*Election Day. No ANC meetings.*
Wednesday, November 9
ANC6B will hold a virtual meeting at 7:00pm
For info on how to join the meeting, go here: https://anc6b.org/calendar/
Among items on the draft agenda:
Appointment of Vice Chair (Vice Chair Horn resigned from the ANC in October due to relocation)
- 1320 E Street, SE. Historic Preservation Application. Peter Bug Shoe Academy Landmark Nomination.
- 1322 Independence Avenue SE. Historic Preservation Application. Concept review – three-story rear addition.
- as you are, 500 8th Street, SE. Class “C” Tavern License: ENDORSEMENT(S): Live Entertainment & Sidewalk Café.
- Kaiju Ramen Bar, 525 8th SE. Class “C” Tavern License: ENDORSEMENT(S): Summer Garden.
- Rose’s at Home, 721 8th Street, SE. Class “C” Restaurant License: ENDORSEMENT(S): Sidewalk Cafe Applicate.
- Trusty’s Bar, 1420 Pennsylvania Avenue, SE. Class “C” Tavern License: ENDORSEMENT(S): Summer Garden, Live Entertainment & Sidewalk Café.
- Extreme Pizza, 520 8th Street, SE. Class “C” Tavern License: ENDORSEMENT(S): Sidewalk Café.
- Lola’s, 711 8TH Street, SE. Class “C” Tavern License: ENDORSEMENT(S): Sidewalk Café.
- Crazy Aunt Helen’s, 713 8th Street, SE. Class “C” Tavern License: ENDORSEMENT(S): Cover Charge Dancing Entertainment & Sidewalk Café.
- Tune Inn Restaurant, 331 Pennsylvania Avenue, SE. Class “C” Tavern License: ENDORSEMENT(S): Sidewalk Café.
- Hawk N’ Dove, 329 Pennsylvania Avenue, SE. Class “C” Tavern License: ENDORSEMENT(S): Cover Charge Dancing Entertainment & Sidewalk Café.
- Hill East Burger, 1432 Pennsylvania Avenue, SE. Class “C” Tavern License: ENDORSEMENT(S): Entertainment.
- Fight Club Restaurant, 633 Pennsylvania Avenue, SE: Class “C” Restaurant License: ENDORSEMENT(S): Entertainment.
- Comments on Draft Environmental Impact Study of land transfers at Washington Navy Yard. Concept plan to create potential for 2 million square feet of residential, retail, office, and parking use ~1300 at 11th and O Streets, SE.
- Letter to DDOT on 11th Street 695 Ramp Study 30% Design.
- Letters to DDOT for Transportation Safety Impact studies: 11th & G Streets SE Intersection and 9th & I Streets, SE, Intersection.
- Letter to DDOT on proposal to hold an Open Streets Event along 8th Street SE/NE in Spring of 2023.
ANC 6C will hold a virtual meeting at 7:00pm.
For info on how to join the meeting, go here: https://anc6c.org/hot-topics/
Among items on the draft agenda:
ABC Committee renewal applications:
- Kelly’s Irish Times, 14 F Street, NE; Buffalo and Bergen, 240 Massachusetts Avenue, NE; Red Bear Brewing Company, 1140-100 Third Street, NE, Suite B; The Dubliner, 4 F Street, NW; Hamilton’s Bar & Grill, 233 2nd Street, NE; Solid State Books, 600 H Street, NE; Allure Lounge, 711 H Street, NE; Bar Elena, 414 H Street, NE; The Big Board, 421 H Street, NE.
Transportation and Public Space Committee
- GWU Survey, electric vehicle (EV) charging sites
- Two Rivers Public Charter School, request for School Parking Zone at 1227 4th Street, NE
- FedEx, 300 Maryland Avenue, NE, existing curb cut, public space permit
Planning, Zoning, and Economic Development Committee
- 601 Massachusetts, NE. Historic Preservation Application. Concept approval, raze one-story noncontributing building (dry cleaner) to construct a three-story residential building.
- 616 Lexington Place, NE. Historic Preservation Application – Amended application, concept approval for rear and attic addition to a two-story row dwelling with attic and cellar.
- 663 Maryland Avenue, NE. Bureau of Zoning Adjustment Application. Special exception from lot occupancy requirements to construct a two-story rear addition to a three-story dwelling with basement.
Thursday, November 10
ANC6A will hold a virtual meeting at 7:00pm.
For info on how to join the meeting, go here: https://anc6a.org/community-calendar/
Among items on the draft agenda:
- Capitol Hill Village – Mary Bloodworth, Director of Operations
- Rosedale Recreation Center – Henry Moton, Recreation Manager, Department of Parks and Recreation
- Alcohol Beverage Licensing (ABL)
- Letter of support in favor of Biergarten Haus at 1355 H Street, NE, for renewal of its Class C Tavern License.
- Letter of support in favor of Brine at 1357-1359 H Street, NE, for renewal of its Class C Tavern License.
- Letter of support in favor of Sospeso at 1344 H Street, NE, for renewal of its Class C Tavern License.
- Letter of support in favor of H Street Country Club at 1335 H Street, NE, for renewal of its Class CC Tavern License.
- Letter of support in favor of the Pie Shop at 1339 H Street, NE, for renewal of its Class C Tavern License.
- Recommendation: ANC 6A oppose the license renewal application of Copycat Co. at 1110 H Street, NE, unless a new settlement agreement is entered into prior to the protest date.
- Letter of support in favor of Capitol Square Bar & Grill at 1500 East Capitol Street, NE, for renewal of its Class C Restaurant License.
- Letter of support in favor of Langston Bar & Grille, at 1831 Benning Road, NE, for renewal of its Class C Tavern License.
- 223 8th Street, NE. Letter of support to HPRB for a plan to construct a rear three-story addition; add a partial third floor on the existing house, and renovate the existing house for a home
- Letter of support to the city with recommendations to assist the tenants at the Havana Building at 1219 K Street, NE. (Because of the pending auction, two letters will be drafted and ANC 6A will select the appropriate one to submit.)
- ANC 6A send a letter of support to the DC council for the Green New Deal for Housing Act Green New Deal for Housing Act with recommended changes to the Act.
- Motion: ANC6A provide EDZ with a mandate to further investigate ANC6A support to sponsor a text amendment for zoning districts NC-9, NC-10, NC-11, NC12, NC-13, NC-14, NC-15, NC-16 and NC-17 to actively encourage use forthe arts.
- Motion: ANC6A send a letter to Councilmembers Vincent Gray and Robert White and Department of General Services (DGS) Director Keith Anderson to request urgent support for repairs and improvements to Eastern High School Athletic Facilities.
ANC6D will hold a virtual Special Meeting at 7:00pm
For info on joining the meeting, go here: www.anc6d.org/virtualmeeting
- 807 Maine Avenue, SW, Zoning Application. PUD Modification.
Saturday, November 12
- Friends of Southeast Library will hold a Book Sale on from 10am to 3pm.