The Week Ahead….And Hill East’s Curbside Café Out – Pretzel Bakery In
by Larry Janezich
Hill East’s Curbside Café Out – Pretzel Bakery In
Curbside Café will close the doors of its brick and mortar operation at 257 15th Street at the end of October and The Pretzel Bakery just down the street at 430 15th Street, SE, will relocate to the space. The move will allow the bakery to offer sit down dining, but it is unclear whether the move will affect the bakery’s menu. Curbside Café which opened in October of 2013 has over time reduced its operating hours to Friday, Saturday and Sunday. A representative told CHC that business on the weekends is ok, but that the area lacks sufficient foot traffic to justify remaining open during the week. The Payne Elementary School directly across the street occupies a city block which might otherwise hold residences with potential customers.
The bakery – owned by Sean Haney – will be the third attempt at establishing an eatery at the former site of the notorious New Dragon carry-out, long a 15th Street trouble spot. (Curbside was preceded by The Creperie which briefly thrilled the neighborhood before falling victim to internal management squabbles.)
Re-establishing retail on 15th Street has been problematic. The commercial strip – a hold-over from another era – once boasted a Safeway, a tavern, a small department store, at least two convenience stores, laundromats, two liquor stores and various other enterprises. Little retail space remains as multi-unit residential projects soaked up the strip’s commercial space.
The Week Ahead….
Tuesday, October 13
- ANC6B meets at 7:00pm in Hill Center
Among items on the agenda:
Virginia Avenue SE, concept/new construction of 4-story building (consent agenda). See CHC post here: http://bit.ly/1jcn90s
Presentations by Forest Hayes, Associate Director, Department of General Services, on the status of the Eastern Market Weekend Flea Markets
Restaurant liquor license for Las Placitas, 1100 8th Street, SE.
Rock ‘n Roll DC Marathon (March 2016)
Letter to Stanton-Eastbanc on Hine Development Construction Problems
DDOT Navy Yard/Union Station Circulator Proposal on Elimination of Stops
Letter to Mayor Bowser on Events DC RFK Study Process
Letter to WMATA on Trains Skipping Stadium Armory Metro Station
Resolution on DC Homelessness
- O. Wilson Elementary School Community Safety Walk (before PSA 104 public meeting), 6:00pm , meet at TD Burger, 257 K Street, NE, to walk through the community problem spots.
- PSA 104 meeting at 7:00pm, JO Wilson Elementary School, 660 K Street, NE. For maps and additional information on Ward Six PSAs, see here: http://1.usa.gov/1LBL0g6
- Public Meeting for Linden Court, NE, Alley Safety Improvement Project, 6:00pm, H Street Country Club, 1335 H Street, NE. DDOT invites the community to a presentation of the plans and schedule for the Linden Court NE Alley Safety Improvement Project.
Thursday, October 15
- ANC6B Outreach and Constituent Services Task Force meets at 7:00pm, Hill Center.
- PSA 108 meets at 7:00pm, Liberty Baptist Church, 527 Kentucky Avenue, SE. For maps and additional information on Ward Six PSAs, see here: http://1.usa.gov/1LBL0g6
- Special Community meeting on restoration and renovation of Virginia Avenue Park, 7:00pm, Hill Center. Department of Parks and Recreation representatives will meet with the community on proposed plans for Virginia Avenue between 2nd and 9th Streets, SE. The plans will be implemented by CSX at the completion of the Virginia Avenue Tunnel Project.