The Week Ahead…..Four Shootings (two deadly) in 9 Days Alarm Capitol Hill – Public Safety Meeting Monday
by Larry Janezich
Saturday, November 19 – Two separate shootings at 15th and A Streets, SE
Friday, November 25 – homicide at 12th and I (Eye) Streets, SE
Sunday, November 27 – Shooting at 600 block of L Street SE near the Capper Community Center (See recent post here: http://bit.ly/2fL8Fpy) Update: at 10:01pm Sunday night, police have termed this shooting a homicide: “At approximately 12:44 pm, members of the First District heard the Sounds of Gunshots in the area of the listed location. Upon arrival, members located an adult male and adult female suffering from multiple gunshot wounds. The female victim was transported to a local hospital for treatment of non-life threatening injuries. The male victim was transported to a local hospital where all lifesaving efforts failed and he was pronounced dead.”
- ANC Commissioner Krepp will host a public safety meeting with Councilmember Allen, with participation from Acting Police Chief Newsham, on Monday, November 28, at 7:30pm. Coletta’s of Greater Wasington, 1901 Independence Avenue, SE. Co-hosted by ANC6B Commissioners Chao, Ridge, and Jayaraman.
According to Krepp, the original purpose of the meeting was to address the two shootings that occurred on the 1500 block of A Street SE last Saturday and the increase in violent crime, trash, loitering, and other problems in the area. The meeting has now been expanded to address the tragic murder at Potomac Gardens.
MPD is offering a reward of up to $25k to anyone that provides information which leads to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons responsible for any homicide committed in the District of Columbia. Anyone with information about this case is asked to call the police at 202-727-9099. Or text anonymously to 50411,
Krepp has invited representatives from the DC Housing Authority, the Community Action Group, SE Market, and 7-Eleven to participate in the meeting.
- ANC6a Community Outreach Committee meets at 7:00 pm, Maury ES (multi-purpose room), 1250 Constitution Ave NE (enter from 13th Street, NE).
Tuesday, November 29
ANC6D Executive Committee meets at 7:00pm in Hill Center to set the agenda for the meeting of the full ANC on Tuesday, December 13.
Wednesday, November 30
- Eastern Market Community Advisory Committee (EMCAC) meets at 7:00pm, in the North Hall of Eastern Market. There will be a special presentation on the Eastern Market Main Street project by Manuel Cortes.
Thursday, December 1
- Police Service Area (PSA) 107 public meeting at 7:00pm, Southeast Library, lower level, 403 7th Street, SE.
- 10th Annual Ward 6 Brickie Awards, The Apolo, 600 H Street, NE. RSVP: http://www.charlesallenward6.com/2016_brickies
2 responses to “The Week Ahead…..Four Shootings (two deadly) in 9 Days Alarm Capitol Hill – Public Safety Meeting Monday”
Anyone have a count of how many “public safety” meetings we’ve had in the last five years and what actions the City and MPD have taken as a result. The site of the 15th street shootings is a well known problem area. Drive by there anytime once it gets dark and the block if full of drinking and getting high on the sidewalk and particularly in front of CAG, the Chinese take-out, and the barber shop. This problem has been building and was completely ignored.
The Potomac Gardens shooting is incredibly sad but unsurprising as well.Lots of loitering and drinking outside and around the grounds.
Agreed. I think we had one last year around this time after that Reign of Terror op-ed. Still a great read: https://www.hillnow.com/2015/10/15/commentary-the-reign-of-terror-on-capitol-hill/
They should make this an annual event. What a dog and pony show. But who do we name it after??